Tuesday, October 11, 2011

BC: Philosophy of Life 101

When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: "If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right." It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "No" for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.

Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

—Steve Jobs, in a 2005 speech

If I had to start following this advice tomorrow, I will start to question myself if I want to make a big change. I wonder if the choices are worth risking for this change. What I mean is should I act like my life is in danger every second as long as I breath or take a more relaxed stride through life. I do agree that Steve Jobs advice should be followed because it challenges how much we value life. To me this quote can really get a person off the couch and be more productive. The thing about 
"all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure"
 is that these are just subjects that we categorize in our achievements. Maybe when you were first born was your biggest pride or failing that one math test where you marked a word on your head failure. No matter what, your going to end up dying. How much you put in still does not change destiny. Eventually, change will happen but will you be ready when it happens?
        One of the things I'll learn about myself from this advice is that I might be taking some of my lifetime deciding what I'm doing the next day. Which is bad because it ISN'T me. I want to challenge myself each and every day to come up with ideas on the spot. Life to me is fun with thrills and chills. This helps me be able to plan my life without having to waste time planning it during my own lifetime. If I were to decide what I wanted to do in life before I was born that probably would've been cool but that doesn't happen. Some of the things I plan are rejected because I would give my body excuses like I'm tired, It's too early, and I'll do it tomorrow. I end up in the same place proving that my body needs break loose and get out.
         The things I learn in my situations are things that are dangerous,overdoing, and appropriate. I might be left in a position that i wouldn't wanna be in. Or I might be doing too much in one day causing the next day to be boring or empty. Also it shrinks down my options and wear out my body. I'm scared to be in a situaution which isn't appropriate or suitable for me. I would want to plan ideas that will help me acheive what I want in life. Maybe I'll look back at all success and fails only to accept that all my choices had been chosen for one purpose: To accomplish what I needed to do on planet Earth. I plan reminisense my life if theres nothing to in the past life. I probably imagined my self sitting in a chair looking over a long list of events that occured in my life. I'll enjoy every second of life and maybe even running around naked could be a major event in my timeline.

No comments:

Post a Comment